Skip to main content

Saturday Update: 05/31/08

It's our last day before we leave...YAHOO!!!! Matt is just preparing for his herbal soak treatment, which will be his very last treatment here in China. This morning he had exercise as usual, and then his final acupuncture treatment.
This is the hallway to the gym. Every morning we'd have to weave our way through the crowded hallway to get there. Just thought I'd share!

I have to say that I think the exercise here isn't all that challenging, compared to what he's done in the past with his previous physical therapists. He rides the bike, slowly (they are big on doing things slowly here), for about 20 minutes. Then they usually spend the rest of the time with him laying on a mat while they work on stretching and flexing his right hand.
They had him doing a few stabilization exercises, and occasionally he would stand up and do squats...but most of these exercises weren't that difficult for Matt. He didn't get to work with Dr. Lu today, but since it was his last day we took some pictures and they actually hugged. Matt said Dr. Lu will for sure miss him because who else will give him such a hard time. I think everyone in the gym got a kick out of them going back and forth. Dr. Lu would say he was taller than Matt...Matt would say he was better looking...Dr. Lu would just wave it off and laugh. I'm sure he will miss Matt - he does have that way with people.

President Han came this morning along with Dr. Li and Professor Bian to perform Matt's last acupuncture treatment.
They said they were happy to have him here and that he'll need to continue to work on his balance at home, and that we should consider coming back next year. Right now I know Matt isn't even ready to consider it, but in another year, who knows? I guess time will tell.

This afternoon we've been making our rounds, just saying good-bye to everyone and wishing them well. It is interesting to talk to each person and get their perspective on things and how they're feeling about their time here in China. It has been good for Matt to have them here to talk to and share in the experience. I imagine it must have been quite lonely for Ruth when she was the only one here initially. I'm glad that we were able to be here in a group and that we'll be leaving with another couple at the same time. It definitely feels less intimidating that way! Overall, everyone here has very positive things to say about their time in China. While we all have our gripes, frustrations, and 'what the heck' type moments, each person is able to feel a difference after having been treated here, and each person seems to have renewed hope for their future...and you can't put a price on that. I'm so happy that everyone is feeling good about their time here, and about their chances of regaining things when they get home. I know Matt and I talk about how much we are looking forward to coming home, but I don't want our eagerness to leave to cloud the positive things that have come from being here. It has been a worth-while experience, that's for sure. Matt has met some great people, and has made progress in areas which hadn't changed in many months. It is our hope that the things which were triggered here can continue to heal once Matt gets home. He is motivated to get back and to continue to work hard on things, and most importantly to ENJOY the many, many blessings we have waiting for us back home. While there will always be work to do, and things to improve upon, I don't ever want to feel like we can't stop and smell the roses from time to time. Life is just too full of wonderful things to spend it always wishing for something else. I think for each person, you have to find the right balance between working hard, and simply living. At some point, a certain amount of acceptance has to come...and by this I don't mean giving up. My friend Holly gave me a book to read right before I left for China. It is about finding contentment, no matter the circumstances. I found many helpful things in this book, but the thing which struck me the most was this analogy that we are all cups. Each of us is a cup of some sort and God pours into it our circumstances, our roles, our blessings, etc. It is up to us to accept what we are given and try and find contentment in everything. This really hit home to me...even though we can't understand why certain things happen, we have to believe that there is a purpose, and it is our responsibility to accept what we are given and make the most of it. I hope that we can leave China with contentment that we made it through this difficult time, that we took a chance and it was worth it, that we followed our hearts and tried something out of the ordinary and trust that God will make what He will of it...and it will be good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Anne - The Beginning of the Story

So, I’ve been trying to sort out how to start this story. It’s been difficult to articulate. Difficult to pick which details to share, and which to hold close. But it’s a story too good, too beautiful, not to share – so here goes! When Matt and I first became parents, we thought our family was complete. We envisioned raising Ethan surrounded by loving friends and family – just the two of us. Given all that we had gone through to finally become parents, we felt content with just the one child. The most adorable boy in the whole wide world. Our Ethan was the apple of our eyes – the most amazing gift. We marveled at all of his accomplishments, soaked up all his love and personality, and celebrated the joy of parenthood at every exhausting, wonderful turn. Along the way, we’ve built a strong and loving relationship with Ethan’s birthmother. We visit yearly, and stay in close contact with pictures, emails, and texts. I have attempted to describe my feelings for her many times over the

I may as well tell you...

I had a miscarriage. I’ve debated for weeks whether or not to acknowledge it publicly. It’s such a personal thing…and this is such a public medium. But a few months have gone by and I’m no closer to feeling ok about it and truly nothing else on my mind really compares, so here I am, letting the world in on my secret. Over the past few weeks I’ve found very little comfort in the fact that only a small handful of people know about the miscarriage. It became nearly unbearable this week, during all our wonderful family Christmas celebrations. Being surrounded by so many people who love me and support me and have no idea how my heart has been broken – it’s a lonely place to be. Not that I would want them all to bombard me with pity or questions or sad looks in their eyes – I realize I can’t have it both ways. But a little acknowledgement goes a long way and I simply can’t ignore or deny the fact that something major happened in my life and impacted me, impacts me still.   It was a warm

WE'RE ADOPTING!!

Bah! I said it…er wrote it…out loud. There it is, in black and white for the world to see. (Pause for a drink and a breath) Matt and I are in the very early stages of planning to adopt. We have had a few meetings with an adoption agency, we are gathering the necessary information, and we are making plans to get this ball officially rolling SOON. It has been a very long and winding road to get us to this point, and honestly I never thought we’d get here. Adoption isn’t what we started out hoping for. It isn’t where we thought we’d end up. But here we are – gearing up for what will surely be a life-changing experience for us with hearts full of hope and excitement. The topic of adoption has come up in the past, but we quickly dismissed it for one reason or another. Matt and I have had our fair share of insecurities about whether or not adoption would be a good option for us. Who would look at our family profile and pick us?? It was a burning question that we probably still have