Skip to main content

Saturday Update: 05/24/2008

Well it’s nearly D day…departure day…and I am finally feeling like I am ready! This will be my last post from home…without Matt. I’m really looking forward to posting from China WITH Matt, and then when we get home as well. Thank goodness this time apart is nearly over!!!

Yesterday, I took the day off to do some yard work with my friend Gina. We spent all day working on stuff at her place, then working on stuff at mine. She helped me put in downspouts, transplant stuff from her place, and mulch, mulch, mulch my new front flower bed. It was a busy day and we were dead tired at the end…but it really felt good to get it done, and to have some help. My friend Jami also helped clean up when we were done and we all hung out together, eating Chinese food and watching a movie…until we all three started falling asleep. This morning I finished mulching (after yet another trip to Menard’s) the front bed, and will work on adding more mulch around the house when we get back. It feels so good to know that I can leave and the front is all done though, and can easily be watered while I’m gone. Lucky me – it rained yesterday and today…so no watering! YAHOO! It’s also supposed to rain Sunday and Monday so I’m hoping that we won’t have to worry about anyone watering the lawn those days either! I can’t tell you what a joy it was waking up to the sound of rain and knowing that I wouldn’t have to schlep around the yard in my PJs!!

Today I’ve been getting caught up on the laundry, dishes, etc…and getting all packed for tomorrow. I fly out around 10:00 AM…and get to Beijing around 3:00 Monday afternoon (China time)…that will be about 2:00 AM Iowa time. From there I will be driven to Tianjin…and we should hopefully get there around 6:00 PM China time (5:00 AM Iowa time). So, my body will be TIRED by the time I burst into Matt’s room…but I’m sure that the excitement of finally being reunited will be enough to perk me up!!! Matt and I have been talking on the phone nearly every night this week…which has been fun and helped a lot getting through these last few days apart. I’ve been teasing him about the foo-man-choo he’s got going on right now. Apparently, he decided to change things up a bit (he’s always liked to mess with his facial hair) and he shaved the middle part of his goatee. He said ‘when in Rome’…but I said no, no, no…it’s gotta go! So I’ll be interested to see what’s in store for me when I arrive! I’m just hoping he didn’t shave everything but a mustache…which would be even worse! He’s done that before and it wasn’t pretty…he just looked weird. Like a Super Trooper…or one of those ‘Da Bears’ guys from the Saturday Night Live skit. Just didn’t look like the Matt I’m used to seeing. Of course, he gets a kick out of getting a rise out of me…so we’ll see what he does now!

Right now I’m just trying not to stress too much about the trip, the long flights, the cramped quarters, the language barriers…and just focus on the wonderful reward waiting for me at the end. I’m happy to endure all the blecky-ness of the trip, half way across the world to get to my Matt…and then knowing that the trip back, I can spend talking to Matt and resting my head on his shoulder. Yeah – it’s worth it!


Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Anne - The Beginning of the Story

So, I’ve been trying to sort out how to start this story. It’s been difficult to articulate. Difficult to pick which details to share, and which to hold close. But it’s a story too good, too beautiful, not to share – so here goes! When Matt and I first became parents, we thought our family was complete. We envisioned raising Ethan surrounded by loving friends and family – just the two of us. Given all that we had gone through to finally become parents, we felt content with just the one child. The most adorable boy in the whole wide world. Our Ethan was the apple of our eyes – the most amazing gift. We marveled at all of his accomplishments, soaked up all his love and personality, and celebrated the joy of parenthood at every exhausting, wonderful turn. Along the way, we’ve built a strong and loving relationship with Ethan’s birthmother. We visit yearly, and stay in close contact with pictures, emails, and texts. I have attempted to describe my feelings for her many times over the co…

Carrie - The Wait and the Big Arrival!

We arrived in Florida midday Saturday and made our way to the hospital where we met up with Ethan’s birthmother and her mother. We spent a long afternoon in the waiting room while the doctors and nurses put L through a myriad of tests. Finally, they verified the need to induce labor and proceeded to admit her to the hospital with plans to start the induction process Sunday. Exhausted, we left to check in at the hotel and ate what we thought may be our last supper before the baby came…but…. Sunday we arrived at the hospital mid-morning to see how things were progressing. The nurses gave L a medication to help start the dilation process around 12:30 PM…and told us it would likely take 12 hours for things to progress. We stepped out to enjoy the Florida sunshine for lunch for a bit, then settled in for the long haul at the hospital. We spent all afternoon, evening, and night together – holding watch over L as she slept. As we sat there, listening to the baby’s heart beating on the monit…

I may as well tell you...

I had a miscarriage. I’ve debated for weeks whether or not to acknowledge it publicly. It’s such a personal thing…and this is such a public medium. But a few months have gone by and I’m no closer to feeling ok about it and truly nothing else on my mind really compares, so here I am, letting the world in on my secret. Over the past few weeks I’ve found very little comfort in the fact that only a small handful of people know about the miscarriage. It became nearly unbearable this week, during all our wonderful family Christmas celebrations. Being surrounded by so many people who love me and support me and have no idea how my heart has been broken – it’s a lonely place to be. Not that I would want them all to bombard me with pity or questions or sad looks in their eyes – I realize I can’t have it both ways. But a little acknowledgement goes a long way and I simply can’t ignore or deny the fact that something major happened in my life and impacted me, impacts me still.
It was a warm, sunn…