Skip to main content

Friday Update: September 30

Blessings for the day:
The EEG results came back and nothing to worry about there!! The wires are still connected right now, but they’ll be coming to get rid of them soon and then he’ll be able to scratch his head and face to his heart’s desire! (Something he’s wanted to do this entire time.)

Physical therapy went so well today…he actually stood all the way up and had his legs straight and his back straight!!! The PT folks were so excited, they asked him to try it again for the tech and he did!!! I was out running errands and missed it. I was bummed that I didn’t see it for myself, but I was also thrilled that he did it without my presence. (I worry that he won’t respond as well to the therapists as he does to me.) It was reassuring to me that he did what they asked even without me having to interject comments.

Sometimes I have to remind myself to stop and really take this all in. I often feel so rushed, just running from place to place and never feeling truly rested. Today, though, I feel the load getting a little lighter. Today I feel a little stronger than I have the past few days. I am starting to see our journey getting a little easier day-by-day. I feel such a sense of relief that all the major testing, poking, prodding, and procedures are behind us. He is truly ready now to concentrate fully on rehabilitation…and that is a great place to be. Just thinking back over the past 2 weeks and all we have been through, it’s amazing…and crazy at the same time. I’m amazed at all his been able to accomplish in this short time-span and am encouraged that he will continue improving in leaps and bounds once he’s transferred and on a more intensive therapy routine.

The social worker is checking on referrals for his next step, and will touch base with me on Monday to discuss it more. The doctors all have to be in agreement that he is ready to go, and they all seem to be looking at Monday as the big decision-making day. I’m SO ready for the next step, that I have to keep telling myself to sit tight. Did I mention that we all need a big dose of patience? (I’m sure I mention it in every post)
While I try to remain positive and upbeat…I also find myself a little sad for all the things we’re missing out on this time of year. The beautiful fall weather, trips we had planned, home projects…even working in the yard together. I am going to really miss Saturday afternoons spent together outside, or inside watching football; evenings cozied up together watching TV and discussing the day’s events; and leisurely driving around the lake and taking in the fall colors. The big ‘Cruise to the Woods’ is this weekend and we are going to miss that too. Anyone who really knows Matt, knows that he has a 1977 Trans Am that is his pride and joy. Each October he tries to get it ready for the big cruise/car show. It’s something we love to do together with our friends and family. Matt was particularly excited for the cruise this year. Planning things to do to the car to improve its appearance and performance. (He can spend hours, days even, reading auto parts catalogs and dreaming of things to tinker on.) He worked really hard installing an electric fan a few weeks ago and was excited to test it out. He also ordered new exhaust for it…I cried when it was delivered last week. Those are the things that make me sad…stupid car parts of all things. I just know how much he loves to work on that car, and how much he’s going to miss driving it this fall…especially on Sunday for the cruise. For all those friends and family members who are going…can you please just take a moment and think of Matt during your cruise? I hope that your loving thoughts and good time can somehow touch him even more that day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Anne - The Beginning of the Story

So, I’ve been trying to sort out how to start this story. It’s been difficult to articulate. Difficult to pick which details to share, and which to hold close. But it’s a story too good, too beautiful, not to share – so here goes! When Matt and I first became parents, we thought our family was complete. We envisioned raising Ethan surrounded by loving friends and family – just the two of us. Given all that we had gone through to finally become parents, we felt content with just the one child. The most adorable boy in the whole wide world. Our Ethan was the apple of our eyes – the most amazing gift. We marveled at all of his accomplishments, soaked up all his love and personality, and celebrated the joy of parenthood at every exhausting, wonderful turn. Along the way, we’ve built a strong and loving relationship with Ethan’s birthmother. We visit yearly, and stay in close contact with pictures, emails, and texts. I have attempted to describe my feelings for her many times over the

A Glimpse Into Open Adoption

If you had been a customer of the Longhorn Steakhouse on Highway 19 in Palm Harbor, FL last Sunday night, you may have seen two couples walking through the restaurant, oogling a sweet baby boy on the way to their table. You may have commented on how cute he was. You may have thought he looked a lot like the woman carrying him. You may have wondered about the man in the wheelchair. But you likely would not have assumed you’d be witnessing this baby’s biological parents sit down to dine with his adoptive parents. It’s a scene I’ve been playing over and over in my mind as I recount the wonderful experiences of our trip to Florida. The magnitude of that moment, that evening, will never be lost on me. It was incredible to be a part of – and I’m so very grateful we had it. We had met up with Ethan’s birthmother, L, earlier in the day. She hadn’t seen him since he was a few hours old and was anxiously waiting for us outside a local mall. As soon as we saw each other the tears welled up in o

Carrie - The Wait and the Big Arrival!

We arrived in Florida midday Saturday and made our way to the hospital where we met up with Ethan’s birthmother and her mother. We spent a long afternoon in the waiting room while the doctors and nurses put L through a myriad of tests. Finally, they verified the need to induce labor and proceeded to admit her to the hospital with plans to start the induction process Sunday. Exhausted, we left to check in at the hotel and ate what we thought may be our last supper before the baby came…but…. Sunday we arrived at the hospital mid-morning to see how things were progressing. The nurses gave L a medication to help start the dilation process around 12:30 PM…and told us it would likely take 12 hours for things to progress. We stepped out to enjoy the Florida sunshine for lunch for a bit, then settled in for the long haul at the hospital. We spent all afternoon, evening, and night together – holding watch over L as she slept. As we sat there, listening to the baby’s heart beating on the mon