Skip to main content

Saturday Update: 10/29/05

Oy Vey…these past few days have been a whirlwind of activity!! Matt has settled in here at Younker really nicely. We have spent most of these first few days just getting to know the therapists, as they evaluate him and his abilities. They all seem very nice and helpful; I think it’s going to be a great environment for him.

He took several walks with the PT ladies these past few days. They are evaluating how he does and so far, I think he’s doing great. He practiced standing up and sitting down several times in a row and did great with that. The occupational therapy is going to be great here too; they’ve been working a lot on the everyday stuff like dressing and grooming. It’s hard for me not to help too much, but I know he needs to do as much as possible. He got such a good start with these therapies at Fleur Heights that he’s really just perfecting what he’s already started relearning. Every morning the OT therapist comes in first thing to help him get ready for the day. It’s SO nice that I don’t have to worry about getting here early and doing it all for him. The nurses have been so good here too…helping him in the morning and being very regular with his medications. We’ve changed up his tube feedings a bit. Instead of being hooked up all night, he’s doing shorter feedings 5 times a day. He did say he was getting hungry during the day sometimes, so hopefully this will help with that and still get all his calories and also not be hooked up to the feedings during therapy. I think it’ll be the best of both worlds! He will have regular showers as well as bed baths in between…where as before he’d have to go several days between bed baths and only had one shower the whole time we were there. This is just MUCH better for him. He loves the shower! They take him up in a shower chair and he just relaxes in the hot water! He will help rinse and scrub, so that’s good as well. The first few nights he said he still didn’t sleep the greatest, but last night was much better. He got a new call light that is easier for him to push, and I know he feels a lot more secure knowing that the call light actually sounds a bell that they have to respond to. Plus, we are just down from the nurses station, and they are so attentive. The atmosphere here is just exactly what he needed. There are folks recovering from all sorts of injuries here…and he fits right in. The therapy rooms are full of activity and he can look around and not wonder why he is in a nursing home. I came in this morning and was greeted with a big hug…but the look of desperation and fear was no longer in his eyes. He looked rested and comfortable. I can’t tell you what peace that gives me. I leave here at night and feel CONFIDENT that he will be taken care of. Before, when I’d leave him at night, I’d tell myself that he’d be OK…that nothing TOO bad would happen to him. Now, I feel like NOTHING bad will happen to him period. What a HUGE relief, let me tell you. That is my blessing for the day…for the week…for the month!

It looks like he’ll be done with therapy early in the afternoon today and tomorrow…by 2. He will have breaks over the lunch hour too, so that’s be an ok time to visit on the weekend…during the week he will be booked up full most days until 4. We are both looking forward to good times and recovery here!


Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Anne - The Beginning of the Story

So, I’ve been trying to sort out how to start this story. It’s been difficult to articulate. Difficult to pick which details to share, and which to hold close. But it’s a story too good, too beautiful, not to share – so here goes! When Matt and I first became parents, we thought our family was complete. We envisioned raising Ethan surrounded by loving friends and family – just the two of us. Given all that we had gone through to finally become parents, we felt content with just the one child. The most adorable boy in the whole wide world. Our Ethan was the apple of our eyes – the most amazing gift. We marveled at all of his accomplishments, soaked up all his love and personality, and celebrated the joy of parenthood at every exhausting, wonderful turn. Along the way, we’ve built a strong and loving relationship with Ethan’s birthmother. We visit yearly, and stay in close contact with pictures, emails, and texts. I have attempted to describe my feelings for her many times over the co…

Carrie - The Wait and the Big Arrival!

We arrived in Florida midday Saturday and made our way to the hospital where we met up with Ethan’s birthmother and her mother. We spent a long afternoon in the waiting room while the doctors and nurses put L through a myriad of tests. Finally, they verified the need to induce labor and proceeded to admit her to the hospital with plans to start the induction process Sunday. Exhausted, we left to check in at the hotel and ate what we thought may be our last supper before the baby came…but…. Sunday we arrived at the hospital mid-morning to see how things were progressing. The nurses gave L a medication to help start the dilation process around 12:30 PM…and told us it would likely take 12 hours for things to progress. We stepped out to enjoy the Florida sunshine for lunch for a bit, then settled in for the long haul at the hospital. We spent all afternoon, evening, and night together – holding watch over L as she slept. As we sat there, listening to the baby’s heart beating on the monit…

I may as well tell you...

I had a miscarriage. I’ve debated for weeks whether or not to acknowledge it publicly. It’s such a personal thing…and this is such a public medium. But a few months have gone by and I’m no closer to feeling ok about it and truly nothing else on my mind really compares, so here I am, letting the world in on my secret. Over the past few weeks I’ve found very little comfort in the fact that only a small handful of people know about the miscarriage. It became nearly unbearable this week, during all our wonderful family Christmas celebrations. Being surrounded by so many people who love me and support me and have no idea how my heart has been broken – it’s a lonely place to be. Not that I would want them all to bombard me with pity or questions or sad looks in their eyes – I realize I can’t have it both ways. But a little acknowledgement goes a long way and I simply can’t ignore or deny the fact that something major happened in my life and impacted me, impacts me still.
It was a warm, sunn…