Skip to main content

Sunday Update: 10/9/05

Blessing for the day:
Matt gets the day off of therapy to rest and catch up on some much-needed R and R. Matt has worked his little booty off all week, so he really needs the day off.

We took Matt outside again yesterday and walked down the road a bit to sit in the sun. He really enjoyed that a lot! I think he’s going to spend most of the day in bed today, however, so we probably won’t get the opportunity to go outside and enjoy this beautiful day. I guess there’s plenty of time for that down the road though.

Matt had all of his therapies yesterday! Two therapists came in special primarily just to work with Matt. They have all really taken to him and are so excited to see his progress. We continue to be thankful for these wonderful therapists and their dedication to Matt and his recovery. I will be visiting with the people from Younker Rehab this week and seeing their facility and what the exact requirements are for admission. Matt is working so hard here, I am pretty sure he’ll be able to go there soon and show his stuff. We are all so anxious for him to get better…but have to try and be patient, knowing that this is going to be a long process and we can’t rush it.

Matt has been working so hard on his therapies, that it takes all his effort and focus to complete the tasks they ask of him. Please understand that if we are in therapy when you come to visit that we just can’t distract Matt with interruptions. I know it can be frustrating, that you want to see him and say hello…but his #1 priority right now is the therapy and we just have to get through this time with that as our main focus. While he is here, we have found the best time for visits is late in the afternoon, after all the therapy has been completed for the day. Also, we’ve been told there is no therapy on Sunday’s so that is a pretty good day for visiting as well. If you do come to visit, please remember that it will need to be brief.
Matt is still unable to communicate much with us, so I think it can also be frustrating for him if he can’t really talk much to you. It is my hope that his speech will improve a lot in the coming weeks and will be much more open to visits. This has been the most frustrating part for me…not having him to talk to, or have him talk back to me. He’s very responsive to yes/no questions, and is very aware of everything we say…but I just miss our conversations. Oh, how I miss them. I still find myself laying in bed wondering where he is. I’m around him all day, and yet he seems so far away. I am still seeking signs of the Matt we all know and love. He’s there…but he’s in pain, he’s sad, he’s frustrated, he’s angry…he’s just dying to get better and get home. We are all praying for that as well.


Popular posts from this blog

Carrie Anne - The Beginning of the Story

So, I’ve been trying to sort out how to start this story. It’s been difficult to articulate. Difficult to pick which details to share, and which to hold close. But it’s a story too good, too beautiful, not to share – so here goes! When Matt and I first became parents, we thought our family was complete. We envisioned raising Ethan surrounded by loving friends and family – just the two of us. Given all that we had gone through to finally become parents, we felt content with just the one child. The most adorable boy in the whole wide world. Our Ethan was the apple of our eyes – the most amazing gift. We marveled at all of his accomplishments, soaked up all his love and personality, and celebrated the joy of parenthood at every exhausting, wonderful turn. Along the way, we’ve built a strong and loving relationship with Ethan’s birthmother. We visit yearly, and stay in close contact with pictures, emails, and texts. I have attempted to describe my feelings for her many times over the co…

Carrie - The Wait and the Big Arrival!

We arrived in Florida midday Saturday and made our way to the hospital where we met up with Ethan’s birthmother and her mother. We spent a long afternoon in the waiting room while the doctors and nurses put L through a myriad of tests. Finally, they verified the need to induce labor and proceeded to admit her to the hospital with plans to start the induction process Sunday. Exhausted, we left to check in at the hotel and ate what we thought may be our last supper before the baby came…but…. Sunday we arrived at the hospital mid-morning to see how things were progressing. The nurses gave L a medication to help start the dilation process around 12:30 PM…and told us it would likely take 12 hours for things to progress. We stepped out to enjoy the Florida sunshine for lunch for a bit, then settled in for the long haul at the hospital. We spent all afternoon, evening, and night together – holding watch over L as she slept. As we sat there, listening to the baby’s heart beating on the monit…

I may as well tell you...

I had a miscarriage. I’ve debated for weeks whether or not to acknowledge it publicly. It’s such a personal thing…and this is such a public medium. But a few months have gone by and I’m no closer to feeling ok about it and truly nothing else on my mind really compares, so here I am, letting the world in on my secret. Over the past few weeks I’ve found very little comfort in the fact that only a small handful of people know about the miscarriage. It became nearly unbearable this week, during all our wonderful family Christmas celebrations. Being surrounded by so many people who love me and support me and have no idea how my heart has been broken – it’s a lonely place to be. Not that I would want them all to bombard me with pity or questions or sad looks in their eyes – I realize I can’t have it both ways. But a little acknowledgement goes a long way and I simply can’t ignore or deny the fact that something major happened in my life and impacted me, impacts me still.
It was a warm, sunn…